Tuesday, November 26, 2013

A Quick Conversation





A conversation with my rival/best friend after listening to the opener of Death Grips new self-released bombshell Government Plates. 

A.A. Ron: Sounds like a slightly new take on dubstep. Like Skrillex went with a metal mentality instead of a party one. Which I kinda like better, but it’s not revelatory to me or anything.

Z.B: Death Grips is super weird to me. This is their 4th album, and I think their first was like 2010 or 2011. Just check out their wiki they are so fucking interesting.

A.A. Ron: Yeah, damn that's crazy, I remember when their first or second one was getting crazy rave reviews.

Z.B: Itt feels like they're going for some sound that lacks precedent. Like, u say Skrillex. Others say rap, others say rap metal, still others say punk. Death Metal Rap feels appropriate to me.

A.A. Ron: Yeah, so I don't know their other stuff, but based on what I do know, seems like they're taking the anger of angry metal/punk rock and superimposing it on a dubstep like electronic sound. Which works well, because that music is inherently heavy and angry sounding, with all the bass and etc. It’s just always been used for raves and stuff, so this is kinda groundbreaking to go to a break shit place with it.
I think that’s also why Sail by AWOLNATION was such a big hit. It had that sound, but went more rage with it, and it fits naturally, not exactly the same sound, but same concept.

Z.B: Yea, obviously metal/thrash/rock with rap vocals and heavy electronic. So it is a totally cool project.
 But, honestly a little too abrasive and lacking in catchy-ness for me to listen to on the regular. It's definitely important because it's a scene of rap that hasn't really been explored. In fact, its more like a direction of music that hasn’t really been explored.

And their media antics are fucking crazy. Which is great but also like akin to a slightly more self-aware GG Allin

Case in point:



Their album cover for No Love Deep Web. Which is seriously just the drummer's penis with black sharpy. Which is fucking hilarious and GG Allin is kicking so hard right now. I can't believe G.G never released an album called: Pile Of Shit EP with accompanying cover art.

A.A Ron: Totally. But be careful comparing anyone to GG Allin, because he was just a fucking insane sociopath, and they're trying to be what they are.

But, yeah, they're the new brand of punk rock. The only issue is that punk rock is mostly in the image, specifically when you play it the angry way.

They're just really difficult to listen to, because it’s just yelling and noise, and that’s head banging and all, but not particularly enjoyable.

Z.B: I never really like thrash metal for pretty much those same reasons.

A.A Ron: Yeah, especially since I find that guys like Jimi, Wolfmother, (so into them lately) etc. Dudes that rock so much harder, but actually have a pretty sound worth listening to-

Z.B: And hooks.

A.A Ron: That actually kinda elevates instead of just making you wanna punch things.

Z.B: Totally down with punching sometimes. But not on the regular. Capitalism beat all my teenage angst out of me long ago.

A.A Ron: For real. By the way, trying to work out flights back home with my mom. It’s torture, bro.

Z.B: I’m sure. My deepest condolences.

A.A Ron: Thanks. I suddenly understand the need for Death Grips.

No comments:

Post a Comment